19 January, 2014

Debbie Macomber - The Inn At Rose Harbor

After reading two 'thriller' books back to back ( The Cuckoos Calling and A Wanted Man ) I wanted to read something light. That's how I picked this one, The Inn At Rose Harbor by Debbie Macomber. The reviewers ( I prefer user reviews than critic's ) gave it high ratings. And when I started the book, I really liked it. It was upto my expectation.

The story is about a war widow, who leaving a high paying city job to move to a lesser busy town buying a bed and breakfast. How the move helped her ease the pain and the story of her first two guests forms the book. The troubled guests find solace during the stay ( not because of the
owner, but on their own ;) ). The step son who never was able to forgive his abusive step father, and a woman who till then was not able to come out of the pain of an accident in which her best friend was killed were her guests. Of course, by the end, the son and father forgive each other, and the lady was able to overcome the emotional baggage she was carrying. With a lot of good people poured in at perfect times to ease the situation, and the spirit of the dead comforts and showing the way! Well, exposed to Bollywood movies, accepting them were hardly difficult to me! The reason I was disappointed was never ever I met any turning point ( u-turns in fact ) or any sudden set backs in the process. It was moving one step to the next, always up. No set back, no surprises. Well, this is not supposed to be a thriller, but everything moving in one direction - a happy ending - was not a good read to me...

Altogether I was not disappointed in picking the book. It delivered ( mostly ) what it promised. But I ended up wishing if there was more...

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is your opinion about this book...