20 July, 2012

R K Narayan - Malgudi Days

When I saw Malgudi Days on Flipkart's special offer rack, I didn't think twice to order it. I was not aware of the content but heard a lot about it and the TV series based on it, and whatever I heard was good. It was light hearted innocent stories, as promised, but did I like it... I will say - in parts.
The main issue I had with it was that, the stories seemed distant. I was not able to connect with it. It was not the folk story kind, but not that old to make it a classic either. It was set in an era while my parents were young. They might be able to connect it better, for me, it was like ( at least most of them ) chewing paper - no taste and no nutritional value...

The stories were short and sweet. Mainly like blog posts of today. But unlike Arnab Ray - May I Hebb Your Attention Pliss, this will not bore you. The stories are not connected, but they are all set in the backdrop of Malgudi, the imaginative village in South India, and everything is narrated as if RK is doing a commentary. His simple style in language and presentation make it an easy read. The plot is never too complicated. It is always straight. I liked his writing style. Will never be able to convey my points so straight and simple! 

Altogether, it will qualify for a link to an India, which exsisted, but I am not aware of. The language and literature is inspiring. How much I enjoyed it - as I said I didn't get bored...

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is your opinion about this book...